INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Since 1908, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. has implemented multitudinous programs which contribute to being, "Supreme in Service to all Mankind." Through our International Program Initiative, Exemplifying Excellence Through Sustainable Service, members of Iota Alpha Omega Chapter will implement five (5) program targets that are designed to advance the mission of Alpha Kappa Alpha with excellence and underscore our commitment to sustainable service within the Mid-Hudson Valley, NY region.
Target 1 - HBCU for Life: A Call to Action
Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue its focus on education with an emphasis on historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).
• Iota Alpha Omega will promote and market historically black colleges and universities and encourage students to attend HBCUs as a sustainability measure. Activities will include researching and publishing information regarding prominent Alpha Kappa Alpha women and other notable individuals who attended HBCUs.
• Recognizing that HBCU funding is one of the primary obstacles that threaten the long-term growth and survival of HBCUs, members will be encouraged to financially support HBCUs. Alpha Kappa Alpha will implement an AKA HBCU Endowment Initiative in partnership with EAF, in which an endowed scholarship will be established at each accredited four-year HBCU. The goal is to stamp the Alpha Kappa Alpha brand of financial support on each HBCU campus to help students remain in school, complete their course of study, and receive their college degrees.
Target 2 - Women’s Healthcare and Wellness
Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue to raise community awareness of critical health issues impacting African-American women. The primary focuses will be breast cancer awareness and prevention, heart health, nutrition and wellness, and care for the caregivers.
• Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention will focus specifically on early detection through mammograms to improve the survival rate of women diagnosed with breast cancer. Alpha Kappa Alpha will own a digital AKA Mobile Breast Cancer Screening Unit that will travel to various locations and provide mammogram screening. Iota Alpha Omega will partner with local clinics, rural health centers, and hospitals to emphasize the need for African-American women to receive regular mammograms.
• Heart Health remains a focus as the sorority enhances its commitment to healthy hearts through fitness activities and walking. Iota Alpha Omega will form walking clubs and invite the community to join the walking initiatives.
• Nutrition and Wellness will emphasize healthy lifestyles including prenatal, childhood, adult, and senior nutrition programs. The focus will be on structured nutrition initiatives, and Iota Alpha Omega will partner with local nutritionists and dietitians to design healthy eating plans and safe diets for longer, healthier living.
• Care for the Caregivers places emphasis on taking care of those who take care of others. Iota Alpha Omega will emphasize the need for caregivers to practice preventive healthcare as well as self-care behavior to eliminate the vulnerabilities and risks associated with the stress of caregiving.
Target 3 - Building Your Economic Legacy
Alpha Kappa Alpha will emphasize financial planning, asset accumulation, and wealth building including savings and investments, managing debt, and improving credit.
• Personal Financial Planning and Asset Accumulation. Financial Freedom Legacy Workshops will be conducted in partnership with local certified financial planners who will share information on saving, investing, and retirement planning. Iota Alpha Omega will train community residents on ways to perform financial assessments to achieve their financial goals.
• Credit Repair and Monitoring. This initiative will focus on ways to repair credit and improve credit scores including how to check for inaccurate or outdated information in credit reports, and how to protect against both identity theft and unauthorized credit history use.
• Entrepreneurship and the Black Dollar 365. This initiative will highlight and promote successful African-American owned businesses with an aim toward spawning new entrepreneurial ventures in our communities by encouraging intentional support and leveraging the power of the black dollar 365 days a year.
• Operation AKA Assist. This initiative will focus on implementing programs to assist those in need in various communities by directing attention to the plight of the homeless, including homeless children, and homeless veterans. Iota Alpha Omega will partner with or adopt a shelter, a transitional home or an organization that provides assistance to these needy populations.
Target 4 - The Arts!
Alpha Kappa Alpha will expose students to arts enrichment and culture by focusing on visual and performing arts and by showcasing talent through the exploration of writers, entertainers and various other artists.
• Salute to the Harlem Renaissance will celebrate the contributions of African-American artists during the Harlem Renaissance through student research and chapter sponsorship of student talent showcases. This initiative will correlate with HBCUs and African-American culture and will include colleges with art collections.
• Salute to the Black Arts Movement will focus on student research and celebration of African-American artists during the Black Arts Movement. Iota Alpha Omega will champion activities that express the movement message and highlight members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority who served as leaders and participants. Activities will include art events, poetry slams, dancing, painting, and performing arts.
Target 5 - Global Impact
Alpha Kappa Alpha will engage in programming designed to enhance the international footprint of the sorority.
• National Global Impact Day. Iota Alpha Omega will engage in a community service project that has an international impact and will partner with organizations that make a difference worldwide.
• Global Assistance Activities. Iota Alpha Omega will engage in global partnerships that provide assistance to the underserved in international areas populated with people of color. These partnerships include the following:
Soles 4 Souls. Iota Alpha Omega will collect gently-worn shoes and transport the shoes to specified locations. Soles4Souls mission is to create sustainable jobs and provide relief through the distribution of shoes around the world.
Lions Club International. Iota Alpha Omega will participate in an eyeglass initiative designed to prevent blindness, help restore eyesight, and improve eye health and eye care for millions of people around the world by donating used eyeglasses in partnership with local Lions Clubs.
Pillowcase Project. Iota Alpha Omega will continue to use pillowcases to make dresses for little girls and will expand the sorority’s efforts to include shirts for little boys. The pillowcase dresses and shirts will be sent to Haiti to provide clothing for children in need.
• Refugees in America Assistance Program (RAAP). Iota Alpha Omega will focus on refugees of color in the United States by partnering with organizations engaged in support activities that assist refugees and their families to integrate into American life. This includes literacy classes, educational training, and other necessary transitional support.
The Signature Program is #CAPSM which is the abbreviation for College Admissions Process.
It is designed to assist students in their efforts to enter college by providing a hands-on approach that includes all the steps from researching various colleges to actually completing the application process.
In addition to the program targets, the Exemplifying Excellence Through Sustainable Service administration is pleased to continue Community Impact Days. Iota Alpha Omega will engage in simultaneous activities that will benefit the community and continue our commitment to lifelong service.